What’s a freelance team, also called a “collective”?
A tech collective is a group of individuals or organisations that come together for a common purpose, often related to technology. Generally, this purpose could be coding with good practice to ensure robust code, creating a platform for sharing knowledge and resources or promoting a particular technology or community. Some collectives may be centred on specific industries such as sustainability, blockchain/web3 and travel.
Freelance teams and collectives often operate on a decentralised and open-source model, allowing for collaboration and contributions from a wide range of people. They aim to foster a sense of community and inclusivity and to promote innovation and progress in the tech industry.
At YJCollective, our freelancers and teams are mainly focusing on
- Building sustainable products
- Making an impact through design and technology
- Sharing knowledge and making changes in the organisations they join
7-benefits of hiring a freelance team
There are several benefits of working with a freelance team, including:
- Cost savings: Hiring a full-time employee can be expensive, especially regarding benefits, insurance, and other related costs. Contracting with a freelance team allows less time spent on admin, interviewing, vetting and onboarding, which can save more money for your business.
- Flexibility: Freelancers are often available to start work immediately and can adjust their schedules to meet your needs. This can be especially beneficial for businesses with unpredictable workloads or project-based work.
- Access to varied & rare skills: Freelance teams often have specialised skills and expertise in a particular area. This allows you to bring in talent for specific projects without the cost of hiring a full-time employee with those skills.
- Improved efficiency: Freelancers are typically highly motivated and focused on delivering high-quality work in a timely manner. This can increase the efficiency of your projects and reduce the time required to complete them.
- Scalability: Freelance teams can be hired as needed, allowing you to scale up or down your workforce as needed. Especially beneficial for businesses that experience fluctuations in workloads.
- Increased creativity and diversity: Working with a diverse group of freelancers can bring new perspectives and ideas to your projects, leading to increased creativity and innovation.
- Fast project onboarding: Working with the same group of freelancers over time on different projects will ultimately maintain consistency and trust between them and your employees and increase productivity, especially for time-sensitive project delivery.
Case study: Solo60 elastic team
Since June 2022, YJCollective has consecutively supplied two freelance teams working alongside the commercial and operational team at Solo60, a fitness and proptech startup. One of the teams consisted of two UXUI freelancers with a history of working together. They were hired to re-design a website and mobile app for a period of 6 months.
The second team, or squad, has worked since the summer on developing a new mobile app version and portal web application. The team is elastic, meaning its capacity can vary month by month depending on workload and priorities. Additionally, Solo60 management can replace a contractor at no extra cost (unless we screen more than five talents for a role). To enable elasticity, our client has to give us a 4-week notice when they want to scale up/down its size or change someone's weekly cap hours.
Ps: the new SOLO60 Wellness app to access Gyms on the go in London is available on iOS and Android store